The Food For Eternal Life

Scripture readings for today's Mass are here



 From today's Gospel of John : 6 :22-29

"Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me
not because you saw signs
but because you ate the loaves and were filled.

Do not work for food that perishes
but for the food that endures for eternal life,
which the Son of Man will give you. 

For on him the Father, God, has set his seal." 

So they said to him,
"What can we do to accomplish the works of God?"

Jesus answered and said to them,
"This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent."

A FEW REFLECTIONS

What To Do When Jesus is Hungry



A missionary gave out Bibles in a remote village in Africa.  One of the native men told him as he reached for one of the books:

“Do you know what I am going to do with your bible?”
“No.”

“I am going to smoke it.”
“It is yours to do with what you wish,” the missionary replied.

Forty years later, the missionary returned to the village. A man in a suit, tie and wearing shoes approached him.
“Do you remember me?” he asked.
“No I’m sorry, I don’t.”

“I am the man who told you I would smoke your bible.”
“Oh, yes, I remember that.”

“Well, I did smoke it.  I smoked Genesis, Exodus–all the way through to the Gospel of John.  When I reached John,  I met Jesus.  Now I am a Christian pastor.”

If you are not a believer, if you have never read John’s Gospel, be forewarned. 

This man John, Jesus’ best friend on earth, writes with great power."
Story above from here 


To believe in God is not a decision we can make..
It is not for man to seek, or even to believe in God. 
He has only to refuse to believe in everything that is not God. 
This refusal does not presuppose belief.

It is enough to recognize, what is obvious to any mind, that all the goods of this world, past, present, or future, real or imaginary, are finite and limited and radically incapable of satisfying the desire which burns perpetually with in us for an infinite and perfect good...


 It is not a matter of self-questioning or searching. 

A man has only to persist in his refusal, and one day or another God will come to him.—Simone Weil (1909-1943)


Jan Richardson at Painted Prayerbook has an interesting reflection here on today's Gospel called The Gastronomical Jesus.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: