Prayers From The Shore


Blessings on you
who stand in the tension and flux
of understanding God
in the struggle to understand what is
and what isn't,
what was and what will be,
what we are
and what we should be.

Juli Allen, Wellsprings 

This lovely prayer of blessing by Juli Allen  pretty well sums up my state of mind in yesterday's post when I mentioned that I might give up fishing for gardening. 


The truth is I can't fish any better than I can garden, but as my true elemental nature is best found beside or on the sea, I have returned there today and these remnants are "prayers from the shore."


The two prayers of St Brendan below mean a lot to me.
For whatever journey we embark on, inner and/ or outer they express the desire to persevere and keep trusting in God when it seems as if things are crashing down.

Photo of 100 foot wave in San Sebastian,Northern Spain by Oier Aso from here



                                                                            
also has a fine video and instrumental music ( but I can't embed it )

These prayers, attributed to St Brendan, express a profound trust in God. 

For all of us in the uncertain times of life when 'letting go' of what is familiar, and moving into the unknown is a challenge.

Beyond these shores
Into the darkness
Beyond these shores 
This boat may sail 
And if this is the way
Then there will be 
A path across this sea.
And if I sail beyond
The farthest ocean
Or lose myself in the depths below 
Wherever I may go Your love surrounds me
For You have been before
Beyond these shores.


 Help me to journey beyond the familiar into the unknown.

Give me the faith to leave old ways

and break fresh ground with You.


Christ of the mysteries, I trust You

to be stronger than each storm within me.

I will trust in the darkness and know

that my times, even now, are in Your hand.


Tune my spirit to the music of heaven,

and somehow, make my obedience count

for You.

No comments: