Baptism of Jesus Christ 2013

Scripture readings for today's Mass are here
Image source Baptism of Christ by Rembrandt

The Baptism of Christ signals the end of His private life and the start of His public ministry. 

In another season of endings and new beginnings, and in a precarious world, I am mindful of God's presence.

Taize Chant Bless The Lord My Soul



Maximus of Turin sheds some light here on the significance of Christ's baptism.

I pray that the dove of the Holy Spirit hovering over the troubled waters and tides of life will be ever there to guide and protect.

John Nava's Baptism of Christ 
Image source

From today's first reading from Isaiah

"Like a shepherd he feeds his flock;
in his arms he gathers the lambs,
carrying them in his bosom,
and leading the ewes with care."


Image source

"Where do you pasture your sheep, O Good Shepherd, you who carry on your shoulders the whole flock? 
For it is but one sheep, this entire human race whom you lift onto your shoulders. Show me the place where there are green pastures, let me know restful waters, lead me out to nourishing grass and call me by name so that I can hear your voice, for I am your own sheep. 
And through that voice calling me, give me eternal life." -Gregory of Nyssa

Previous related posts

 Baptism of Christ 2012 from here.





No comments: