Happy St Patrick's Day 2012


                                                                      Image source

It is good to be back after a rough 'ol week healthwise, combined with spiritual dryness.


I felt no consolation in prayer, or from the world,  just a painful weight and hollow feeling of God's absence, but despite these emotions, never has my lack of feeling become a lack of faith that God exists.

 I have been grappling with that sick anxiety from the feeling that I'm rubbish at it all; and unable to reflect because of a stultifying mental paralysis.

Lovely !! 


I didn't even want to check my blog for several days, but when I read the lovely comments and e.mails and felt the support of people who took time to write and show their care and concern, it was wonderfully healing. Thank you so much.


This song by Mumford and Sons formerly known as 'Untitled', is now referred to as 'Nothing Is Written.'


Maybe I was meant to be allowed to feel something of the absence of God this week.


Lyrics

I came home
Like a stone
And I fell heavy into your arms
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new sun


And I'll kneel down

Wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Wait for now

So break my step

And relent
You forgave and I won't forget
Know what we've seen
And him with less
Now in some way
Shake the excess


And I'll kneel down

Wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Now I'll be bold

As well as strong
Use my head alongside my heart
So take my flesh
And fix my eyes
That tethered mind free from the lies

And I'll kneel down

Wait for now
And I'll kneel down

Know my ground
And I'll kneel down
Wait for now

Raise my hands

Paint my spirit gold
And bow my head
Keep my heart slow

And raise my hands

Paint my spirit gold
And bow my head
Keep my heart slow


So, what better day to try and start posting again than for this one on Saturday ?!!

Happy St Patrick's Day To All

The beautiful Prayer of St Patrick : St Patrick's Breastplate

The first part is read by Dom Mark Patrick Hederman, Benedictine Abbot of Glenstal Monastery, County Limerick and then repeated in Gaelic..




Listen to an enjoyable informative and up to date audio version of the "authentic " life story of the Fifth century missionary, St Patrick as told by Ian Hislop here which is part of the Real Patron Saints Series on BBC Radio 4 Extra. ** Recommended ****

( Duration 30 minutes)  NB: The programme kicks in after a couple of minutes of unrelated music....


                                                                   Image source


For something else beautiful on this day here is an interview with 
John O' Donohue talking about his book : On Beauty, The Invisible Embrace.

  The video below is a musical  version of "The Deer's Cry", attributed to St Patrick,which is known by several names: "The Breastplate of St Patrick" and "Lorica" to mention two. 

It is a beautiful prayer celebrating a God who lives with us, guiding us, sheltering and strengthening us. This is a God who is always with us and in us through Creation.

 Irish composer Shaun Davey put a section of the Breastplate to some wonderful music in his CD "The Pilgrim".

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: