Seven Last Words Of Christ On The Cross

One of the most powerful practices you can participate in during Good Friday is reflecting on the Seven Last Words of Christ on the cross.


They are arranged below chronologically, as Jesus spoke them.


The First Words


“Then Jesus said,
 ‘Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.’ 
 And they parted his raiment, and cast lots” (Luke 23:34).

The Second Words


“And Jesus said unto him,
 ‘I say unto you, Today you shall be with me in paradise’” (Luke 23:43).

The Third Words

 Image James Tissot


“When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he said unto his mother,
 ‘Woman, behold your son!’” (John 19:26).

The Fourth Words


“And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, 
‘Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?’ which is, being interpreted,
 ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’” (Mark 15:34).

The Fifth Words



‘After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, 
that the scripture might be fulfilled, said, ‘I thirst’” (John 19:28).

The Sixth Words

 View of Jesus from the Cross James Tissot


“When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said,
 ‘It is finished’”: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost” (John 19:30).

The Seventh Words

 James Tissot Death of Jesus
“And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said,
 ‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit’” (Luke 23:46).

No comments: